Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Lady in the Water



I went to see The Lady in the Water this afternoon, and I'm going to disagree with all the reviewers out there because I really, really liked the film. I imagine my friends at eschaton will disagree. I couldn't care less.

Shyamalan writes and makes films about something that is important to me- the intersection of the uncanny, the divine, with the ordinary, physical world. It's about fate, and destiny and one's place in the cosmos. And it's always about ordinary people having a larger, more extraordinary purpose in life. It's the theme that runs through all of his work and it's something that resonates with me.

Wouldn't you like to be touched by something uncanny? Wouldn't it be delightful to live in a universe with water nymphs and other unworldly creatures? Don't you want there to be something more? If you say no, then that makes me sad.

People can disagree about whether Shyamalan is successful in translating his vision to the screen- but I am glad that that he at least tries.

9 comments:

flory said...

Scary. You and NTodd are in agreement.....

four legs good said...

Really? that's funny.

flory said...

He's got a post up over at DM on the movie.....

Eli said...

I have liked all of MNS's films so far.

four legs good said...

I have liked all of MNS's films so far.

Me too. I think The Village was my least favorite.

Samurai Sam said...

I thought the ending of "Signs" was pretty weak. I mean, they get all the way here for an invasion without doing a little recon first?

But otherwise I've really like his movies. I look forward to seeing Lady in the Water.

Besides, not much else out there to write home about.

four legs good said...

Agreed, but I still liked it pretty much- some good scares in that film.

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»