Friday, May 04, 2007

Freakshow



Against my better judgement, I did watch some of the republican debate last night. I don't know about you guys, but I found I couldn't watch the whole thing. I kept having to switch channels.

I did, however, catch one astonishing question and answer exchange with Tommy Thompson. Chris Matthews asked him, "If an employer believes homosexuality is immoral, and he finds out he has a gay worker, should he be able to fire that worker?"

Thompson said yes.

Color me astonished. Since when did one's employment in America depend on whether your boss believes you are moral or not? That is completely outrageous.

So let me just ask, if my boss thinks birth control is immoral, and I take the pill, can my boss fire me?

How about if I'm living with my girlfriend or boyfriend?

Or if I practice wicca?

Or if I don't go to church on Sunday?

Or if I haven't accepted Jesus as my personal lord and savior?

Or if I drink alcohol? pierce my nose? get a tattoo? refuse to recycle?

Where does one draw the line?

The most astonishing thing to me is that Thompson's answer isn't even mildly controversial in the republican party. Or in the media either, for that matter. I looked in vain this morning for a mention of it in the debate news coverage. Nada. Apparently "hating the gay" is now mainstream.

I hope that Americans will reject that kind of nonsense, but I noticed that Thompson's colleagues on the stage didn't jump to correct him. I single out Thompson (because yes, there were lots of outrageous statements made last night) mostly because he's probably correctly viewed as a fairly middle-of-the-road, nonfirebrand republican. He's not even remotely on the fringe. This, america, is what the modern republican party is all about.

On women's rights, civil rights, war.... on every issue they are wrong. They are nothing but a freak show.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hating the gay" has always been mainstream. It's only been in the past 20 years or so that there's been any movement towards mainstreaming non-hetero lifestyles. And we all know that the repugs are at minimum 20 years behind the times.

I didn't watch a minute of the "debate", but I applaud those of you that did and lived to report back to the rest of us.

four legs good said...

It was like watching a trainwreck.

Anonymous said...

Don't know how you could do it...they're all despicable.