Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A few more bad photos

These pretty much suck. The two top photos were taken from the train as we were leaving, through a dirty subway car window.

The Cyclone.

I think this view shows just how seedy the entire Coney Island district is. A developer has been buying up the land and wants to develop it, but the locals are resisting, saying they want to preserve "historic" Coney Island. Honestly, I don't know what's there to preserve. It's incredibly run down and depressing.

On the other hand, the people who were there seemed to be having a ball. I tried to get a nice motion blur here, but didn't slow the shutter down enough. Oh well.

Hopefully they'll strike a happy medium and renovate the area, while preserving some of the local flavor and keeping it affordable enough for people to still go there. I'll probably never go back, because Atroland in closing at the end of the summer, and even if it wasn't, there aren't any freaks left there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The locals are probably worried -- and understandably so -- that if the place is developed -- read 'gentrified' -- they'll get priced right out of their homes.

The working class generally suffers once developers get involved.

flory

four legs good said...

I agree with that. On the other hand, bringing in hotels and retail will bring year round jobs to the area.

I don't know what the answer is, I hope they'll be able to come up with a happy medium.

Anonymous said...

Seedy is just all right with me...