Sunday, April 08, 2007

Good grief

From a link posted by Attaturk on Eschaton, we get this disturbing look into how one lands on the "no fly" lists:
"I presented my credentials from the Marine Corps to a very polite clerk for American Airlines. One of the two people to whom I talked asked a question and offered a frightening comment: "Have you been in any peace marches? We ban a lot of people from flying because of that." I explained that I had not so marched but had, in September, 2006, given a lecture at Princeton, televised and put on the Web, highly critical of George Bush for his many violations of the Constitution. "That'll do it," the man said. "
How long before they start banning people for writing critically about chimpy on the web?

How utterly depressing this crew is. It's going to take years to root them all out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's going to take years to root them all out.

Did you see today … Ashcroft dumbed down standards for hiring new civil service attorneys. He then assigned a former administrator from Pat Robertson's "Law School" to fill these positions.

Then they harassed experienced, competent attorneys from respected schools until they quit, making way for loyal Bushies from a tier 4 ( low-ranked) Fundie Robertson school.

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2007/04/08
Sorry, I don't know how to embed the link. The article is completely appalling.

four legs good said...

polly, of course they did.

And they've done the exact same thing in every single agency in the federal government.

This is what I've been hollering about for a few years now.

Sandy-LA 90034 said...

And you holler so eloquently, 4Legs. For which I am immensely grateful. The reason I check the liberal blogs is that I have trouble putting words to my outrage when I read of these kinds of schemes. I have started to say to friends that I think the only thing that will get peoples' attention is to impeach Bush et al. Too many young people are growing up not educated on what's important to keep our country really free. When they see this type of thing happening all the time, it becomes invisible to them, it's business as usual, and there's no outrage.

I pray that there is a deity out there watching this with dismay and willing to come to our rescue. I rather doubt it. I think we'll have to rescue ourselves. I'm just not sure it isn't already too late.

four legs good said...

I'm not sure either.

Caminante said...

I always figured my protesting in front of the US embassy in Managua, Nicaragua in 1984 would land me on these things but so far, so good.