Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Astronomy!! The Great Bird of the Galaxy



The Pelican Nebula!!
The Pelican Nebula is seen by the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope, positioned on top of Mauna Kea volcano, on the Big Island of Hawaii.

The Pelican Nebula (IC 5070) is located 2,000 light-years away in the constellation of Cygnus, the Swan. It lies adjacent to the North American Nebula. Both nebulae are well-known as part of the same star-forming region.

The image was taken by Jean-Charles Cuillandre (CFHT) & Giovanni Anselmi (Coelum).
From our friends at Space.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never had much luck seeing the Pelican with the backyard 'scope. Using a nebular filter I can just bearly detect the presence of the North American nebula next door. I guess I need a darker sky. Oh by the way Cygnus is up overhead at midnightish this time of year.

Backyard Astronomer

four legs good said...

I can't see anything at all in Austin. Have to look a purty pictures on teh internets.