Sunday, April 22, 2007

Earth Day


One of the things I like best about NYC (and something that always surprises visitors) is just how green the city is, and just how many trees there are.

Of course there can always be more. The trees tend to be in the residential areas and there are very few trees in Harlem, Midtown and the Bronx. When I lived there I came up with the idea that every roof in the city should be planted with trees as a way to combat pollution. I couldn't get anyone to listen to me, but I still think the idea of the entire city being blanketed in trees is a fun one. (And yes, I realize there would be structural issues with a lot of buildings. I'd settle for solar arrays instead).

In the meantime, I think Bloomberg's idea to to plant one million trees in NYC by 2017 is a good one. Let's hope other cities follow suit.

The photo above was taken in Bryant Park last September. The park is a delightful sylvan oasis in the middle of midtown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least Daly has done a lot of greening of the rooftops of Chicago.

It helps to have a mayor who actually pays attention to such things, right now NYC doesn't.