Monday, May 07, 2007

When the Levees Fail. Again.

Tyrone Turner/National Geographic

It appears the Bushies have done their usual bang-up job of repairing the levees in New Orleans. New Orleans' Rebuilt Levees "Riddled With Flaws"
Almost a year ago the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers declared that it had restored New Orleans' levees and floodwalls to pre-Hurricane Katrina strength.

But the system is actually riddled with flaws, and a storm even weaker than Katrina could breach the levees if it hit this year, say leading experts who have investigated the system.
The unwelcome news comes as residents gird for what is predicted to be a "very active" Atlantic hurricane season, and as residents are still slowly rebuilding their homes and lives after Katrina.

During a recent inspection of the levee system with National Geographic magazine, engineering professor Bob Bea of the University of California, Berkeley, found multiple weak spots.
So much for the promise to build the levees to withstand a Category 5. Did they think no one was going to check their work? If there's another hurricane this year, I imagine Bush will say, "No one could have imagined that those levees weren't strong enough."

Bastards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And this (not like I didn't expect it, so I cannot use the turn of phrase "I surely didn't expect the CoE work to be so shoddy...") right as I am about to shore up an interview for a position in New Orleans! (heck I figured why not ask if they were hiring, my boyfriend broke up with me this weekend and I have to move anyway, either back into Houston proper or attempt my dream of New Orleans!?)
I hope the salary is sufficient to keep me in general comfort (on a second floor) not too far from the Quarter (I want to be in a city I can walk around in, not HAVE to drive). I would love to have a wee balcony for my kiddenz to peruse the view from... :) Being in Nola would ease my heart.
F*ck the CoE and the shrub assministration...f*ck them up their hooter sideways I say!
Protect New Orleans!!!
(and all good plush lifers can come visit if this works out! :) )
Elspeth
Elspeth